Tuesday, January 03, 2006

What To Do?

I'm not sure what to do with my five year old foster daughter. Let me tell you a little about her. I've had her and her siblings in my home since March. I won't go in to ALL the issues this sibling group has, it's too long, but I'll tell you that this little one has SEVERE attachment disorder (she's a leech!), and has to have constant attention. She's been diagnosed with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) as well.

But the issue that is driving me insane is the fact that she is peeing and pooping in her pants! This all started around Christmas time when her family gave her a picture of Mommy. Ever since she either just doesn't WIPE her bottom after going to the bathroom, or she just doesn't even GO to the bathroom. She has pooped her pants three times, peed her pants once, and I can't even count how often she isn't wiping. It is SO disgusting!

And when we yell at her or put her in a time out for doing this. (See she DIDN'T do this before, so we know she can control it...it's ALL a control issue)... she zones out on us. Her eyes get this glassy look and she just disappears. I have no idea if she hears any of our ranting, but my guess is that she doesn't.

I just don't know what to do to get her to stop pooping. We've resorted to putting her in pull ups from about 6 pm until morning because that is when she honestly has the most issues. Any suggestions?

2 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Blogger Megamom said...

Not a lot of advice but maybe try reward motivation. My 6 yr old was having pooping issues, now he doesnt have the attachment etc issues but he would poop in his underwear and ti would drive me batty.

What worked for him was gum, if he made it a whole day he got a stick of gum, if he made it a week a whole pack. Im not sure at what point we stopped the rewards and teh not pooping continued but it seemed to work. He loved gum!

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Wadsworthmommy said...

Anna-
I would take her to her pediatrician at this point. I really wonder if there is not something physical going on. If that is ruled out, I would seriously see about getting her in for more therapy. I know when my adopted siblings really act out--it's usually the anniversary of something that really affected them (like the day they were first taken from the home, a family member's birthday, etc).
Hugs and prayers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home