Friday, January 06, 2006

God Bless WIC

I really am thankful for WIC (Women Infant Children) vouchers. They allow me to purchase cereal, milk, bread, eggs, cheese, peanut butter, beans, and during the summer months fresh fruit from the farmers market, and it doesn't come out of our family budget! If I didn't have foster children, then I wouldn't be able to have WIC because of the income level; but with the additional children in my home, we qualify. (actually the foster kids qualify - my family still doesn't!)

Now some people are embarrassed to use WIC vouchers. Some people feel ashamed. Some PEOPLE make people feel ashamed to use them. But to me, they are a lifesaver. I don't feel the least bit guilty when I use them. They help me keep my family healthy and fed!

My children go through two gallons of milk every two days! (One white, one chocolate) and half a gallon more of white milk. My youngest three drink milk at every meal (and juice in between). My older children use the milk on their cereal, and on their strawberry shortcake. We love scrambled eggs for breakfast, boiled eggs as a side at dinner, and not to mention all the baking I do with them!! The cheese... my goodness you'd think it was candy the way my children go through it! (We buy the cubes for easy holding.)

I save over $100.00 a month...maybe a lot more - I haven't actually sat down and added up the receipts - by using our WIC vouchers. The money we save allows us to take our children out for a family dinner, or to the bowling alley, or the movie theater. It allows us to have a little fun without worrying about how we'll afford groceries. (Do you realize how much is COSTS to feed eight people fast food?!?)

And while we're on the subject, reduced rates on school lunches are great too!! *hehe* I'm not to proud to say that I'll take any type of assistance I can get for my children. They are worth it. And if others think I'm cheap, or that I'm a dead-beat parent...well...all they have to do is spend a day in my shoes to know how wrong they really are.

2 Comments:

At 10:59 PM, Blogger Wadsworthmommy said...

Um, milk on shortcake---ick!!!!

I'm thankful that you are able to get the WIC coupons--I know how big of a blessing they are for you!!!!

Have you also checked to see if they are any foodbanks in your area? They are a wonderful place for foster parents!

K

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger No Longer In Crisis said...

Yes! Praise the Lord for WIC. My formula for Sugar Cookie was a total of $120 this month alone - and I just handed over the vouchers.

BTW - I just came across your blog from Cindy's. I'd love to hear more about why you became a foster mom, and how you decided you would take such a large sibling group. Would you adopt them if they became available too? For now, you are my new hero!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home