Thursday, March 02, 2006

Strep Throat

Strep Throat has finally hit our family. It's been going around the kids' school for a few weeks now, and has finally found a way into our lives. We've never had strep throat before. Pink eye - yes, the flu - absolutely, lice - unfortunately. But strep throat has never made an appearance until yesterday.

The school nurse called me to say that Jenna didn't have a fever, but was complaining of a very sore throat. And upon inspection the nurse saw little blisters - but they weren't white! Still it was questionable what was causing the bumps and so I was asked to pick her up.

So off to the doctor we went. The doctor didn't think it was strep throat because the bumps weren't white, but she took a throat culture anyways. And sure enough... STREP.

We left with a perscription of medicine and stricted orders not to go around anyone for 24 hours until the meds had a chance to take effect. I thought "No problem" Jenna wasn't even acting very sickly, you know?

Fast forward a few hours and you find my VERY miserable daughter. She's bawling, her throat is full of white blisters, and she can't keep anything down. She's running a high fever and just feels awful. We've already started the meds, but they haven't had a chance to work yet... And I begin praying no one else in my family gets this nasty stuff.

Today Jenna is acting much better. You can tell the meds are doing the job, but I went ahead and kept her home from school for the day - just to be safe! Unfortunately my throat is feeling VERY scratchy, and I have a pounding headache. I have to wonder if it's psychological or if I'm getting the dreaded strep throat. *sniff* I'm praying it's all in my head. I have too many children to head to the doctor for meds.

2 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Blogger Megamom said...

How in the world did you manage to escape strep throat this long? We manage to get it often enough. A month ago, we had 7 of us on meds for it too!

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Wadsworthmommy said...

Hope Jenna is feeling better and nobody else gets it!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home