Monday, October 02, 2006

So I'm a Little Obsessive

I'll admit that. When I find a project that I enjoy I am all into it. Take scrapbooking. I went to one party and had such a good time that I just HAD to purchase the entire Creative Memories starter kit! But that's not all, I then had to buy every tool I could find to do with scrapbooking. Didn't matter that I didn't know how to use most of it, I had to do it! And heaven forbid I see a sales add for Hobby Lobby or Joann Fabrics! If I know there are scrapbooking supplies on sales, well...I just have to go! How can I resist a 40-50% off sale?!?

Well my latest project has been the no sew blankets. My friend thought she was being a good friend and gave me the instructions on how to complete them. So of course I had to try it out to see if it was as easy as she said. That's all it took.

Man alive. My husband is ready to kill me! I've spent a good $530 in two weeks on fabric. BUT in my defense, it was all on SALE!! Joann Fabric Store was having a 50% off sale on their fleece fabrics. But it's sort of his fault.

You see I was just minding my own business making a blanket for Macie's bed when Matt walked in and started going on and on about how little time that it took me and how they'd make GREAT Christmas presents. He actually suggested that I make them for everyone.

So in all honesty it was my husband's fault. He gave me total control of getting Christmas presents for my ten siblings, my two sisters in law, and of course, blankets for both sets of parents, the grandparents, and one aunt.

In two weeks time I have completed 27 fleece blankets. Obessed? Yes I am. Burnt out? You betcha I am! My poor fingers are killing me! Especially my cuticles. They are raw and so sore right now. Not to mention the fact that I had to take a three day break from making these blankets, because I damaged a nerve in my left hand.

But these blankets are so cool looking! Not one of the kids' blankets are the same. And they really are super fast to make. The worst part is tying all the little knots together.

The good news is that I only have three more blankets to make and then I'm DONE WITH CHRISTMAS!!!! Never again will I attempt a crafty project like this for Christmas. It's too time consuming, and when we added up all the money we spent on fabric, we realized these really weren't cheap to make! About $20 per blanket. Which isn't really bad, but it's a little more than we should have spent on all my mom's kids.

Oh well, this is something they can use for years, and I know they'll love them. Now I'm off to see if I can finish these blankets once and for all. Hopefully Matt won't think of anyone else that needs one. (He's good at that!)

2 Comments:

At 11:50 AM, Blogger Megamom said...

wow thats a lot of blankets!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Wadsworthmommy said...

But these are gifts they will enjoy for life--not just some toy that they'll play with for a couple of days and then forget about! So you aren't only giving them a gift--you are giving them a gift that can be used and treasured for years to come.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home