Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Lowering Cholesterol

Ok, ok, I'll admit it. I have high cholesterol. It's not THAT high though, only 238 (doctor wanted it below 200) and my bad cholesterol is only 166 (doctor wanted it below 100). Well he informed me that I have to get it under control, so off to a low fat diet I go. (yeah right).

But really, I am trying to do better. I've decided to give this eating healthy thing a shot. I mean, it is SO not me; but if it keeps me from having to have heart surgery down the road, then I guess it might be worth it.

I'm starting slowly though. I joined a great website (sparkpeople.com), and have been tracking my eating stuff on there. I haven't tried any of their dieting meal plans (blah) because I'm too picky and they sound NASTY. But there is a way to add the foods that I DO eat. And if they don't have a certain food, as long as I have the nutrition info off the package, I can add it myself.

So I've really been trying to NOT eat the sour cream potato chips, and not eating as much chocolate or french fries, and trying to eat more apples, and (gasp) green beans. Yes I'll admit it. I ate green beans for two days in a row and they didn't kill me. In fact, I kind of liked them... KIND of...

But I've only been "really" eating healthy for two days now. I don't know if I'll be able to keep it up, but I figure anything I do to eat healthier is better than not eating healthy at all. Right? And like I said, I'm taking it slow. If I really want a Take Five candy bar, by gosh by golly I'm gonna eat it. I figure if I'm suffering through apples and greens then I should get rewarded with a sweet once in a while... (typing as I eye the candy bar on the computer desk... it's calling my name... but alas, I'll pass. I've had all the carbs and calaries I should have for the day.

No I'm not on this diet thing to lose weight. If I lose a few pounds I'll be happy, but I'd rather just feel less tired and less irritable. I read on that website that a high carb lifestyle leads to horrible mood swings, and stuff. And it's true of me. I'll let you know how it goes...

Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it - especially when Aunt Flo decides to come for a visit and I attempt to deny her the sour cream chips, garlic french fries, and take five candy bars she is craving... Who will win the battle? Me thinks it'll be old Auntie. ;)

1 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger Megamom said...

Im on the health kick too but i many have just added in exercise, the food battle is not going so well. Although i did bypass the donuts this morning :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home