Monday, April 17, 2006

My Latest Idea

Ok. Call me crazy. I'll admit that I'm not quite all there most days. But I have had this desire for the past few weeks to "do something more" with my life. I don't know if it's a mid-life crisis, or just a fear of the future; but I want to go back to school.

Yes I know, I know. How in the world am I going to go back to college with seven children - five under the age of 7? But I was thinking of only taking one or two classes each semester. I think I "might" be able to handle it if I take it slow.

I'm really thinking of going in to the nursing field. My mom says that since I already have an associate degree in business that I should just go for an RN degree instead of an LPN certificate. She said that I have all the general classes already taken care of and could get my degree quicker that way.

I feel like I'm already a part time nurse as it is! I mean, I give my foster son medication through the port in his chest three times a week; and I also help give my daughter's friend her insulin shots when she spends the night. So I know I could handle the medication part of the nursing profession.

Now if we're talking about teeth *shudder* then I may have a problem. There is just something about seeing the tooth wiggle and hang in the mouth that makes me squirm. I know a dental field is out of the question. Teeth are my downfall!

But I really think the nursing field would be a good fit for me. They always need nurses and there are two hospitals, and almost 60 doctor offices in our town alone. Not to mention the nursing homes. So I don't think I'd have a problem finding a job. And I could probably support my kids on a nursing salary if something happened to Matt.

Matt says we can't afford for me to go back to school right now. And I honestly think I want to wait until at least fall - if not next spring before I really consider it. But I want to take it slow.

So what do you think? Am I crazy to even consider becoming a nurse when I have this many children in my home? The other concern is that my foster children aren't MINE. At any time the caseworkers can come and take them away. I need a skill that will allow me to be with my children when they need me, but also help out financially if something major occurred.

Now to convince my husband of this idea...

1 Comments:

At 6:57 AM, Blogger Megamom said...

Go for it .. you arent any crazier than I am for wanting to go back to school!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home