Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Wish Me Luck

Well everyone I've decided to try my hand at being Martha Stewart. That's right. I - Anna - am going to being a Suzy Homemaker-type woman. I have mastered the art of scrapbooking. I can crochet a blanket (using one type of stitch!), and now I'm on to my next challenge...a Cuddly Quilt Kit. I'm going to attempt to make a homemade baby quilt for my cousin's first baby!

Now mind you, I attempted sewing about seven years ago and found that I could sew the material together...as long as I didn't have to read the directions. If I had to figure out what the directions were saying I was completely lost.

But never fear, this cuddly quilt kit promises easy-to-follow instructions! So I spend my husband's hard earned money on this very cute kit, but will I be able to figure it out? Slowly I unfold all the fabric pieces and locate the hidden instructions. I'm still trying to figure out why they were buried in the deepest fold of the material. Was it to keep me from seeing how complicated it was before I purchased it? I'm honestly thinking that might be the case.

Right away it tells me all the supplies I am going to need. Hmm... What is a rotary cutter? Now I know a scrapbook version of this, but where do I get a sewing one? Is it the same thing? The instructions don't say... What is a pressing cloth? The instructions don't say. Sew with right sides together... um...as opposed to wrong sides? I'm guessing this means for me to put the "good" side of the material together right?

My head is beginning to throb by this point and I'm wondering why I spent $20.00 on this project when I could have bought a really cute already put together baby blanket for less! Why did I ever think I could be a Martha? I've never been a Martha before and you can't teach a non-Martha new tricks! Lord help me, I'm in over my head! And this is just from reading the instructions.

I have yet to have the courage to cut the fabric and give this project a try. I wonder if it's too late to take it to my mother-in-law to complete. The fabric is so pretty and soft and cute looking all folded together like this. Maybe I'll just give the quilt project to my cousin for her baby shower gift instead of trying to give her the completed quilt. But no, *sigh* my pride won't let me quit just yet. I have to at least attempt this daunting taskbefore I can turn it over to the professionals. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll turn out cute! I'll let you know how it goes.

2 Comments:

At 9:59 PM, Blogger Wadsworthmommy said...

LOL! LOL!!!!! Ha, ha, ha! You cracked me up!

Head to JoAnna's, take the directions and they'll help you! You will be so proud of it, you will be making Macy one!

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Anna said...

:) I did it!!! I actually made a quilt! Of course the stitches aren't even; and the squares kind of-sort of-don't line up... BUT I finished the quilt! It's cute and cuddly, but I don't know if it's good enough to give as a gift...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home