Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Hemophilia Training, Oh My!

Wow! Talk about a shock! When I was told that C was going to have to have factor transfusions from home I thought it wasn't going to be a big deal. Sure, I'd just insert the needle into the little cath sticking out of his chest and we'd all live happily ever after.

Imagine my surprise when I realized that the port (where the transfusion takes place) is actually UNDER his skin! Ack!! It's a lot more complicated than I expected. First you have to put on sterile gloves. Then you have to numb the port area with this cream stuff...it has to stay on for 10-20 minutes before we can do anything else. Then we have to stick this needle into his port (HAS to go right in the middle), then you have to flush with Saline, add the factor, flush with saline again, then give something called heprine... Hmm...

Me thinks I'm in over my head!! How in the world am I supposed to remember all the steps? He'll have this port in his chest until he is about six or seven years old. Then they'll remove it and he'll have to get his transfusions through his veins.

Thankfully I have a home nurse coming out for the next two transfusions to make sure I know what I'm doing. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home